Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I bring to my Court date?

A: Proper identification
    Copy of the citation
    Copy of bond paperwork if a bond was posted
    Any documents that provide compliance (current insurance, proof of license reinstatement) 

Q: How can I pay a fine?

A: Payments can be made in person at the Municipal Court Building located at 222 S Florissant Rd. Ferguson, Mo. 63135, by mail, by phone by calling 1-800-444-1187 or on-line at If you are mailing in your payment please mail a money order. Types of payments accepted are: cash, credit cards, cashiers checks and money orders. NO PERSONAL CHECKS.  For after hours payments, a drop box is located to the left of the front door of the building.

Q: What should I expect at a Court appearance?

A: The goal of the Ferguson Municipal Court is to assist you in resolving your cases, however, neither the Judge nor the Court Clerks can give you any legal advice. You will always have the option to set up a payment arrangement if you are assessed fines. You will not be arrested for failing to pay a fine, however, a warrant could be issued for your arrest if you fail to appear in court on your scheduled court date.

Q: What If I cannot make my first Court Date?

A: If you miss your first Court date the judge will automatically send you a letter with a new court date continuing the case. No warrant will be issued. 
If it is not your first court date and you are unable to appear, you can send someone in your place to request a continuance.  
If you cannot make your court date due to medical reasons, you must provide the Court written information from your doctor.

​Q: How can I set up payment arrangements?

​A:  You can set up monthly payments arrangements at your Court date after you have plead on your charges before the Judge.  Payments are always due on the first Friday of each month.  If you are unable to make your payment by the due date you will need to appear in Court the following Monday at 6 PM to speak to the Judge about a continuance.  A warrant will not be issued for failing to pay your fine, however, a warrant could be issued if you fail to appear in Court on your scheduled court date. 


Q:  How can I request a continuance

​A: One continuance by phone will be granted if made prior to the initial court date.  Any additional request for a continuance must be submitted to the Judge in writing at least 48 hours before the Court date.  The request can be submitted either by mail, fax, or dropped off in person at the Court Window. 

​Q:  How can I request an ability to pay determination

​A:  If you feel that you are indigent and unable to pay a fine you can request an ability to pay hearing at your Court date.

Q:  Do I need an attorney?

A:  You may want to consult with an attorney about your case, but the Court cannot advise you whether you should hire an attorney.  However, if there is a possibility that you will receive jail time if you plead guilty or are found guilty after a trial, the Court will appoint an attorney to represent you if you cannot afford to hire an attorney.

Q: What do I do if I need ADA accommodations?

​A:  You have rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  For example, if you or a witness are deaf or hearing impaired, you have the right to request assistance, including an interpreter.  Please contact the Court Clerk for assistance at 314-524-5264.

Q:  What is the potential consequence for missing a payment or a Court date?

​A:  If you are unable to make your payment on the date that it is due you will not be arrested, however, if you do not appear in person on your scheduled Court Date to show cause as to why you are unable to make a payment a warrant could be issued for your arrest.