- Your Government
- City Council
- Election Requirements
The City Council consists of six Council members and a Mayor. Two Council members are elected from each of the three wards, for three-year overlapping terms. The Mayor is elected at large and also serves a three-year term.
- All Council Members and Mayor shall be qualified voters of the City;
- Council Members must reside in their respective wards;
- No person shall qualify as a candidate for Mayor or Council Member who has been convicted of or found guilty of or pled guilty to a felony under the laws of the State of Missouri or of the United States;
- Neither any Council Member or Mayor may serve more than three (3) consecutive three-year terms (exceptions apply).
Candidates for City Council (Mayor and Council Member) must also:
- File a nominating petition comprised of not less than fifty (50) and not more than seventy-five (75) registered voters.
- Declare under penalties of perjury that they are not delinquent in the filing of any state income taxes, personal property taxes, municipal taxes, real property taxes, or are not a past or present corporate officer of any fee office that owes any taxes to the State.
- Pay a $10 filing fee for the declaration of office.
Notice of Personal Financial Disclosure Requirements
Pursuant to Ferguson City Ordinance, candidates are required to file, with the Missouri Ethics Commission and the Office of the Ferguson City Clerk, a Personal Financial Disclosure Statement (PFD). Penalty: Failure to file the PFD within 14 days of the close of candidate filing, will result in a $10 per day late fee. If not filed within 21 days of the close of candidate filing, candidate will be disqualified, and his/her name will be removed from the ballot.