Alcoholic Beverages Code Chapter 4
PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY - SOME PROCESSES HAVE CHANGED
".........No person shall sell or expose for sale in the city any intoxicating liquor or any nonintoxicating beer in any quantity without first obtaining a license therefor from the city." (Sec. 4-26)
".........No license shall be issued unless the use and property for which the license is proposed meet all requirements of the Zoning Code, building codes and other ordinances. In those zoning districts where an applicant’s business requires a special use permit, the applicant must first obtain the special use permit prior to receiving a license issued under this chapter. No business, establishment or property for which a license has been issued under this chapter shall be conducted, operated or maintained in such a manner as to cause any nuisance whether private or public or any such a manner as to be detrimental to the public’s health, safety and welfare." (Sec. 4-28)
For questions specifically related to liquor licenses, processing, or approval, contact the Office of the City Clerk at 314-524-5152. For questions regarding zoning, building codes, or special use permits, please contact the Department of Planning at 314-524-5257.
The City Clerk is responsible for all Liquor License applications submitted pursuant to Chapter 4 of the Municipal Code, found here. Those wishing to apply for a liquor license must meet all applicable building and zoning regulations before submitting the liquor license application. Liquor licenses are approved by the City Council at their regularly scheduled meetings. The term of a liquor license is up to one year; July 1 - June 30. Applications may be made for renewal following the same guidelines stated here. Renewal applications are typically due May 1, annually.
For a liquor license application, please click here. Please note, all required documentation and payment of the required fee must be submitted with the application.
Required Documentation includes, but may not be limited to the following:
- State of Missouri liquor license or application (more information can be found here),
- St. Louis County liquor license or application (more information can be found here),
- Missouri No Tax Due Certificate (more information can be found here),
- Paid property tax receipt,
- Background Check obtained from the Missouri Highway Patrol (more information can be found here),
- Voter Registration (more information can be found here),
- Compliant Exterior Inspection,
- Inventory List (when applicable).
QUALIFICATIONS - PLEASE NOTE: No person shall, under any condition, be granted a license unless such person:
- Is of good moral character;
- Is a qualified legal voter in the county of residence at the time of application or any renewal of a license;
- Is an assessed tax-paying citizen of a county, city, town or village or residence at the time of application or any renewal of a license;
- Owes no taxes, license fees, special assessment or service charges, fines or penalties at the time of application or any renewal of a license;
- Individually or any officer, director or shareholder of a corporate applicant, has not been convicted of a felony or of any violation of any laws of the United States or any state involving the distribution, sale or possession of any controlled substance or dangerous drugs;
- Has no prior revocation of a liquor license;
- Has not been convicted, since the ratification of the twenty-first amendment to the Constitution of the United States, of a violation of the provisions of any law applicable to the manufacture or sale of intoxicating liquor or nonintoxicating beer;
- Has not violated provisions of any law applicable to the manufacture, sale or distribution of intoxicating liquor;
- Will not employ in his business and has not employed in his business, at any other location, a person whose license has been revoked or who has been convicted of violating the provision of any liquor laws;
- Is in fact the true applicant and is making the application in his own name and has a financial interest in the business;
- Shall present with the application a bona fide sale contract or option duly executed, which may be subject to applicant obtaining a license, or a bona fide lease duly executed by the lessor or an option for a lease duly executed, subject to applicant obtaining a liquor license, covering the property for which a license is requested;
- Has reached his twenty-first birthday.
- Shall present with the application a certificate of compliance with the Commercial Exterior Appearance Code issued by the department of public works for the premises to be licensed.
- Shall present with the application a receipt showing no property taxes are due for the premises to be licensed, regardless of whether the person owns the premises
|Package Liquor (Monday - Saturday)||$150.00|
|Package Liquor PLUS Sunday Sales||$450.00|
|By the Drink - Beer, Wine, Malt Liquor (Monday - Saturday)||$ 52.50|
|By the Drink - Beer, Wine, Malt Liquor PLUS Sunday Sales||$352.50|
|By the Drink - All Kinds of Intoxicating Liquor (Monday - Saturday)||$450.00|
|By the Drink - All Kinds of Intoxicating Liquor PLUS Sunday Sales||$750.00|
|Temporary Event Permit (Up to 7 days)||$ 25.00|
|Manufacture and Distribution of Beer||$450.00|
|Preferred Event License||$ 25.00|