The Human Rights Commission is comprised of seven individuals appointed by the Mayor, with the approval of the Council. Per Article II of the City Code, the Commission shall have the following functions, powers and duties:
(1) To receive and investigate complaints alleging any discriminatory practices made unlawful by article I of this chapter.
(2) To provide third party mediation services to resolve incidences of alleged discriminatory practices made unlawful by article I of this chapter.
(3) To cooperate with other organizations, private and public, to discourage discrimination.
(4) To encourage fair treatment for all persons regardless of age as it relates to employment, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, handicap, sexual orientation, gender identity or familial status as it relates to housing.
(5) To advise the city council on human rights issues.
(6) To sponsor or initiate specifically targeted workshops and on-going programs to improve human relations and to decrease tensions in the city.
(7) To adopt rules, regulations and guidelines pertaining to the investigation and disposition of complaints consistent with the provisions of this chapter.
(8) To make recommendations to the city manager for funding human rights enhancement activities.